Call for Papers: 4th biennial SOTL in the South conference
The 4th biennial SOTL in the South Conference, SOTL 4 the South (SOTL4), will be hosted by the University of the Free State (UFS) Qwaqwa Campus from 21 to 23 November, 2023 at the Golden Gate Hotel, in the eastern Free State. This international conference will welcome scholars, educators, researchers, students and other members of academia from around the world, and provides the platform to share research findings with global experts, and the opportunity to engage in cross-border learning and identify new partnerships and opportunities.
The theme for SOTL4 is: Teaching and Learning for Sustainable Futures
Proposals for oral presentations, poster presentations and panels are welcomed. We are also interested in proposals suggesting interesting and innovative formats to share knowledge (e.g. artistic performances, visual displays) and communication forms drawing on indigenous knowledge systems. We also encourage contributions from postgraduate and undergraduate students. Themes on teaching and learning in higher education that will be featured at the conference include, but are not restricted to:
- Teaching and learning for sustainable livelihoods
- Teaching and learning for environmental sustainability
- Teaching and learning for environmental and social justice
- Teaching and learning for addressing challenges of inequality and underdevelopment
- Digital futures for teaching and learning
- Indigenous knowledge systems and sustainability in teaching and learning
- Pedagogical innovations for sustainability education
- Epistemic diversity for sustainability education
- Learning-centred approaches to teaching
- Promoting student voices in teaching and learning for sustainability
- Innovation in teaching and learning
- Postgraduate teaching and learning
- Thinking creatively for future scenarios
All abstracts will be reviewed for originality, relevance to the conference theme, accuracy and research depth. All submissions should report previously unpublished research findings, irrespective of the research paper type.
The abstracts of all accepted papers will be published in the Conference Abstract Book, and authors of selected papers will be invited to publish their research in a special issue of the journal SOTL in the South, to appear in 2024.
Confirmed Keynote Speakers:
- Prof Melanie Walker (SARChI Chair in Higher Education and Human Development, University of the Free State)
- Prof Heila Lotz-Sisitka (SARChI Chair in Global Change and Social Learning Systems Development, Rhodes University)
- Abstract Submission Deadline: 28 April 2023
- Outcome of abstract review: 16 June 2023
- Early Bird Registration Deadline: 30 June 2023
- Author Registration Deadline: 29 September 2023
- Attendee Registration Deadline: 3 November 2023
- Pre-conference workshop (20 November 2023): Tool, skills and strategies to teach students to be sustainable citizens through curriculum and assessment design and innovation. Space will be limited to 40 attendees.
- Post-conference writing retreat (24 November 2023): This one-day retreat in Clarens will provide attendees an opportunity to refine their conference papers for publication while guided by a critical reader. Space will be limited to 15.
Conference Registration Fees:
- Early Bird Registration: R2850
- Normal Registration: R3500
- Daily registration: R1500
- Registered Undergraduate Students: R500
- Registered Postgraduate Students: R1500
- Pre-conference Workshop: R200
- Post-conference Retreat: R400
Please feel free to forward this call for papers to interested colleagues and students.