Sappi’s stakeholder engagement approach involves listening to multiple voices for social impact
Copyright (c) 2023 Andre Oberholzer , Mpho Lethoko , Mari Lee, Dalien Benecke, Thabisile Phumo
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Putting theory into practice remains a challenge in the diverse South African context. The authors of this case study seek to present a communication programme that have been implemented by African communication professionals and which illustrate the practical application of business and social impact results to communication theory. Sappi is an Africa-headquartered multinational company with a global footprint which uses its stakeholder approach as part of its business strategy. Sappi is a leading global provider of everyday materials made from wood-fibrebased renewable resources. The company works with its partners to build a thriving world by acting boldly to support the planet, people and prosperity (Sappi, 2023). This article critically evaluates how Sappi uses stakeholder engagement to achieve this purpose statement.
Article Metrics Graph
- Botha, Y, & Meintjes, C. 2021. Chapter 9 in Strategic Communication South African Perspectives. Edited by Benecke, D.R., Verwey, S & Phumo, T. Oxford University Press. Cape Town
- Falkheimer, J, & Heide, M. From Public Relations to Strategic Communication in Sweden. Nordicom Review 35 (2). Pp. 123-138.
- Institute of Directors (2016). King IV Report on Corporate Governance for South Africa. Available on https://www.adams.africa/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/King-IV-Report.pdf
- Rampersad, R & Gopaul, R. (2021). Strategy as emergence and emergent strategy: Understanding social change. Chapter 3. in Strategic Communication South African Perspectives. Edited by Benecke, D.R., Verwey, S & Phumo, T. Oxford University Press. Cape Town
- Sappi, 2015. Annual Integrated Report for the year ended December 2015. Available on https://cdn-s3.sappi.com/s3fs-public/slices/downloads/2015-Sappi-Annual-Integrated-Report_0.pdf. Accessed May 2023.
- Sappi, 2020. Sappi Social Impact Plan: an internal handbook. Corporate Affairs Department. Johannesburg. Sappi Ltd.
- Sappi, 2022. Annual Integrated Report for the year ended September 2022. Corporate Affairs Department. Johannesburg. Available at: https://www.sappi-ir-reports.co.za/online-reports/air-2022/pdf/iar-full-latest.pdf. Accessed on 23/2/2023.
- Sappi 2022. Group Sustainability Report for the year ended September 2022, Corporate Affairs Department. Johannesburg. Available at: https://cdn-s3.sappi.com/s3fs-public/2022-Sappi-Group-Sustainability-Report_Final-5.pdf" https://cdn-s3.sappi.com/s3fs-public/2022-Sappi-Group-Sustainability-Report_Final-5.pdf. Accessed on 22/5/2023.
- Sappi. 2023. About Us. Available at: https://www.sappi.com/about-us. (Accessed: 28 February 2023).
- Sappi, 2022. Sappi Corporate Citizenship Report for the year ended September 2020. Accessed on 14/03/2023.
- Vanclay, F., Esteves, A. M., Aucamp, I., & Franks, D. (2015). Social Impact Assessment: Guidance for assessing and managing the social impacts of projects. Fargo ND: International Association for Impact Assessment.